- In a bowl, combine 60 ml (1/4 cup) of milk, the sugar and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Add the remaining milk and the flour. Whisk together until the mixture is smooth. Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap.
- Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature.
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream, butter, chives and egg. Add to the previous mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a lightly buttered skillet, pour a small amount of batter at a time to form small pancakes (approximately 5-cm (2-inch) in diameter). Continue with the remaining batter. If the pancakes have been prepared in advance and refrigerated, allow them to warm up to room temperature.
- Add a dab of sour cream to each pancake. Garnish with chives and smoked fish.
Blini can be prepared in advance and can also be frozen. Thaw a day before, in the refrigerator, and serve at room temperature.