- Brush the chops with barbecue sauce. Marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature. Keep the remaining sauce aside.
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to medium.
- In a cast iron skillet, brown the onions in the oil on the grill for about 15 minutes (you can also do this on the stove in a non-stick skillet). Set aside.
- Grill the chops over medium-high heat, for about 4 minutes per side depending on their thickness. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a work surface and slice thinly. Combine the pork with the onions and the remaining barbecue sauce.
- Toast the buns. To serve, top with the pork mixture and shredded lettuce.