- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the strawberries and lemon juice. Spread onto the bottom of a 23-cm (9-inch) square baking dish. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the oil and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg and combine until mooth. On low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Spread over the strawberries.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet (to collect juices overflowing from the pudding cake). Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.
Off-season, you can use thawed frozen strawberries.