- In a bowl, combine the flour, pecans, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg yolk. Gently fold in the dry ingredients.
- On a work surface, place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil, and form two 15-cm (6-inch) long cylinders. Close the cylinder, twisting both ends of the paper. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until the dough is very firm to the touch.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unpack and place the rolls on a work surface. Cut into ½-cm (¼-inch) thick slices and place on the baking sheets, spacing them evenly.
- Bake one sheet at a time, about 12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned. Let cool on the baking sheet.
Pecan and Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches
Place a 45 ml (3 tbsp) scoop of vanilla ice cream on a cookie. Cover with a second cookie and press lightly. Individually cover the sandwiches in plastic wrap. Freeze for 48 hours to let the cookies soften.