Caramel (dulce de leche)
- Place the can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot filled with boiling water. Boil for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove the can from the water and let rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the cake.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a 43 x 32-cm (17 x 12.5-inch) baking sheet with parchment paper. Generously butter the entire surface of the paper and the sides of the baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and gradually add the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in the dry ingredients in the same fashion.
- Spread the batter on the baking sheet. Bake for about 7 minutes or until the cake is lightly browned. Sprinkle sugar on a piece of parchment paper. Flip the cake on the paper. Remove the baking paper.
- Carefully open the sweetened condensed milk can, wear oven mitts or gloves to prevent burns.
- Spread the caramel (dulce de leche) on the cake. Roll the cake onto itself and place on a serving platter. Dust the cooled cake with the icing sugar. Heat the metal skewer on a stove’s top. Mark the top of the cake with the hot skewer to create a crisscross pattern. Serve with fresh fruit or ice cream.