- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the broiler.
- Place the asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with about 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Broil until tender but still firm, or 5 to 6 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove from the oven and cut the asparagus, on the bias, into sections. Set aside
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, soften the onion and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes in the remaining (60 ml / 1/4 cup) oil. Do not let brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients, then the pasta and asparagus. Stir until warm throughout. Season with salt and pepper.