- In the bowl of a food processor, place the flour and salt. Pulse a few seconds to blend. Add the butter and shortening. Pulse, a few seconds at a time, until the mixture has a grainy texture.
- Add the water. Pulse, adding a little water if needed, until the soft dough forms a ball. Remove the dough from the processor. Shape into a ball with your hands. Dust with flour and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a skillet, brown the meat in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onions and seasonings. Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the breadcrumbs, remove from the heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Divide the pastry in half. Roll out the first half of the dough on a floured work surface. Cut 13-cm (5-inch) circles of dough and do the same with the second half of dough in order to get 16 circles. Freeze the remaining dough, if necessary.
- With a brush, lightly moisten the outer perimeter of the dough circles with the water/egg mixture. Place 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of filling in the centre of each circle and close in on itself. Pinch the edges to seal the pies. Brush the top of each pie with the egg mixture. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes.
These pies will freeze well once cooled.