- Line a 23-cm (9-inch) square pan with plastic wrap.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute over medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Add the Parmesan, cheddar and nutmeg. Stir until the cheese has melted. Season with pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and press with a spatula so that the surface is smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until the mixture is firm.
- Remove from the pan and cut into four squares, then cut each square into four triangles or heart shapes (see note).
- Place the flour, eggs, breadcrumbs and walnuts into 4 shallow bowls.
- Dredge each piece in the flour, dip in the beaten eggs then cover with breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet. Once all the pieces are coated with breadcrumbs, dip again into the beaten eggs and coat with the chopped nuts.
- In a skillet, brown the fondue in the oil over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on all sides. Serve with a sprout salad.
You can freeze the cheese fondue before or after frying. They will however be crispier if you brown them just before serving. For a change, cut heart-shaped “Fondue Parmesan” with a cookie cutter ... it’s very nice!