Dates Braised lamb
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 150 °C (300 °F).
- Cut the flesh of the shanks around the bone against the grain at 2.5-cm (1-inch) intervals.
- In a oven-safe enameled cast iron or large pan, brown the meat in the oil. Season with salt. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, brown the shallots and fennel. Add oil as needed. Add the dates. Deglaze with the wine and add the veal stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and return the shanks to the pan. Cover and cook in the oven for about 2 hours 30 minutes or until the meat is very tender. Remove the shanks. Break up the meat into pieces and return to the pan. Adjust seasoning.
Mashed Carrots with Cumin
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the carrots until tender. Drain.
- In a food processor, purée the carrots until smooth with the honey and cumin. Add chicken stock if needed. Adjust seasoning. Keep warm in a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip.
Coconut Milk Foam
- In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk. Add the cream. Season with salt. Pass through a fine sieve. Pour the mixture into the siphon. Close the siphon. Firmly screw in the cartridge to inject gas into the siphon. Shake the siphon several times, upside down, to allow gas to properly mix in the preparation. Let cool.
- In a bowl, sprinkle the spices on the popcorn and mix well. Season with salt. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown the fennel in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with Pastis. Set aside.
- In 12-310 ml (1 1/4 cups) capacity glass verrines, spread the mashed carrots at the bottom. Add the buttered fennel. Cover with braised lamb. Shake the siphon again, upside down to disperse the gas and garnish only half of the dish. Garnish with a few kernels of popcorn.
Coconut milk foam, without siphon
Just before serving, whisk 180 ml (3/4 cup) cold coconut milk with 180 ml (3/4 cup) 35% cold cream with electric mixer until stiff peaks forms. Season with salt.
This dish is decomposable. To enjoy simply, you can only cook the lamb and mashed carrots. This chic recipe will become a comfort food dish.