- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter and flour a 25-cm (10-inch) in diameter Bundt cake pan.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine the milk and the vanilla, almond and lemon extracts. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. With a wooden spoon, stir in the candies. Pour into the pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan, let cool and frost, if desired. Decorate with candies.
Ideal for kids party
There's nothing like a cake with hidden candies to charm kids. This recipe was suggested by a reader of the Magdalen Islands, Claudette Thériault. Olivina, her Acadian aunt from New Brunswick, used to prepare cakes with fruit. During the Second World War, fruit was hard to find, she then replaced the fruit with jujubes. One brilliant idea that makes children very happy!
Super Quick Icing
Here is a recipe to make pourable fondant for the cake, if desired. Simply whisk together with a fork 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) of icing sugar, 10 ml (2 teaspoons) of lemon juice and 22 ml (1 1/2 tablespoons) of water.