- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, combine the water and saffron. Let steep. In a large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven, brown the chicken on both sides in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate. Keep the oil in the skillet.
- In the same skillet, lightly brown the vegetables. Add the spices, lemons, olives and raisins and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the saffron infusion. Season with salt and pepper (see note).
- Place the chicken over the vegetables and bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for about 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and falls off the bone. If desired, use a tajine dish for baking.
- Serve over couscous and garnish with cilantro.
Because preserved lemon and olives are salty, season lightly.