- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the centre. Pour the water, egg and oil into the well. Blend with a fork or your hands.
- Place the dough on a flat surface and knead until smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and cottage cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin sheet. Cut out rounds using a 7.5-cm (3-inch) cutter. Place about 10 ml (2 teaspoons) of the filling in the centre of each round. Lightly brush the edges of the rounds with water. Fold the rounds over the filling to form half-moons. Press the edges together to seal. Set aside on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Slip the perogies into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until they float to the surface. Continue cooking for 4 minutes. Drain and coat lightly with oil.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the perogies in the remaining oil and the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, brown the shallots, adding more butter if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Chicken with Morrels (see recipe).