- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, blend half the butter with the brown sugar. Spread into the bottom of a 20-cm (8-inch) buttered tube pan. Sprinkle with the almonds.
- In a bowl, cream the remaining butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the apple and blend well.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Stir into apple mixture alternating with the milk.
- Pour into the pan. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Unmould right out of the oven.
- In a saucepan, bring the sugar and half the water to a boil. Continue boiling until it is a beautiful caramel color. Remove from the heat immediately and add the remaining warm water. Stir until the caramel is dissolved. Add the cream and simmer for a few minutes. Let cool before glazing the cake.