- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F). Butter and flour a 28 X 20-cm (11 x 8-inch) baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 3 to 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. At lower speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the fruit salad.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven, prick the surface of the cake several times with a fork and run the blade of a knife around the cake to loosen it from the sides of the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil, except for the vanilla, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until it thickens. Be careful, the mixture tends to overflow. Add the vanilla.
- Gradually pour the hot icing over the cake, lifting it gently with a knife to let the icing flow everywhere. Allow to soak. Serve warm or cold.