- Preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the flour, ginger and baking soda.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar, sugar and molasses.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the hot sugar mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon and add the egg. Blend until the dough is still soft, but not sticky. Add a little flour, if necessary. Let the dough cool.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough and cut the cookies with a cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet and bake at the bottom of the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, without browning.
- Cool completely and decorate with the icing or candies of all kind.
- In a bowl, combine the water and sugar. If necessary, add warm water, 5 ml (1 teaspoon) at a time, until very smooth. Add food coloring, if desired.