- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a food processor, cut the bread into coarse crumbs. You will need 750 ml (3 cups) of breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with half the butter and 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a 20-cm (8-inch) square pan with a 2 litres (8 cups) capacity, combine the apples with the remaining butter and brown sugar, a quarter of the breadcrumb mixture and the cinnamon. Sprinkle with the remaining crumbs and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for about 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
The Brown Betty, especially popular in the United States, is a dessert usually made from apples but can also be made with pears and berries. The star ingredient of the crispy top? Dried breadcrumbs, to which we add melted butter and sugar.