- Rinse the grape leaves and soak in fresh water for 2 hours. Cut the stems, if necessary.
- In a saucepan, soften the onion and garlic in the oil. Add the meat and cook thoroughly over high heat while breaking it. The cooking liquid should be evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, and cook for about 5 minutes, until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat, add the rice and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a work surface, lay a grapevine leaf. Place about 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of filling in the centre. Fold the sides in and tightly roll from the stem to get a little tight roll. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the rolls side by side at the bottom of a large saucepan, folded portion down.
- In a bowl, combine the wine, tomato sauce, broth and brown sugar. Pour over grape leaves.
- Cover with a plate to keep them in place during cooking. Simmer gently, covered, for 30 minutes. Cool in the pan. Serve the warm grapevine leaves as a starter.
The meat crumbles easily by crushing it with a potato masher while cooking.