- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F).
- Place the bread on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of the melted butter and toss. Bake for about 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cheese, and chives with a whisk. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a 25-cm (10-inch) ovenproof non-stick skillet, brown the onion and sausage meat in the remaining butter, breaking it with a fork or the back of a wooden spoon.
- Off the heat, add the bread and egg mixture, and toss gently. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the strata is golden brown. Finish browning under the broiler, if needed. Serve with a green salad.