- In a saucepan, soften the onion in ¼ cup (60 ml) of the oil. Add the wine and reduce by half. Add the crushed tomatoes and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the broiler.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, place the flour. In a second shallow bowl, lightly beat the eggs. In a third shallow bowl, place the panko breadcrumbs.
- Dredge the veal cutlets in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the cutlets into the beaten egg, letting the excess drip off. Then lightly press into the panko breadcrumbs.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown half the cutlets at a time on both sides in half of the butter and 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil. Place the cutlets in a baking dish. Cover with tomato sauce. Top with the basil leaves and the cheese and broil a few minutes in the oven.
This recipe is also delicious made with pork cutlets.