Prawns and Vegetables
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil with nori. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add bonito flakes and let infuse for about 2 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve. Add mirin, soy sauce and daikon. Let cool.
Shrimp and Vegetables
- For the prawn to remain straight when fried, make four to five small angled incisions on the abdomen of each prawn. This step is optional.
- Preheat oil in the deep fryer at a high temperature. Line a baking sheet with paper towel or top with a wire rack. It can be used to drain excess oil off fried prawns and vegetables.
- In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add water and stir with a whisk. Do not overwork batter, leave a few lumps.
- Dip prawns one by one in batter with a fork. Place them in fryer, shaking the basket lightly so they do not stick. Fry six prawns a time for about 1 minute until golden brown. Drain on the baking sheet.
- Continue the same way with vegetables without overloading the fryer. Serve with dashi or curry powder, season with salt and drizzle with lime juice.
Bonito is a tuna fish cousin. You can find dried bonito flakes in Asian markets. If you can’t find bonito, use fish stock to infuse nori. You can also simmer a piece of fish skin (salmon or other) in water for about 10 minutes and strain.