- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add egg and beat until smooth. At low speed or with a wooden spoon, add dry ingredients. Form two discs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out one disc of dough at a time to about ½-cm (¼-inch) thick. Cut out cookies with a 4-cm (1 ½-inch) round cookie cutter or a small shot glass. Spread over baking sheets.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks or freeze.