- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter and line the bottom of a 20-cm (8-inch) springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add eggs and mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients alternately with applesauce and combine until smooth.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Insert apple slices in batter, letting them extend slightly, forming a ring shape at the centre of the cake, about 2-cm (3/4-inch) from the edge. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Right out of the oven, brush cake surface with maple syrup. Let cool completely, unmould and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Kuchen is a sweet cake with a texture reminiscent of bread. Originally from Germany, it is traditionally made with fruit and nuts and served with coffee.