- In a bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oil in the deep fryer to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a baking sheet with two layers of paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients and combine until smooth.
- With a 15 ml (1 tablespoon) ice cream scoop, spoon ten balls of dough at a time into hot oil and fry for 6 to 7 minutes, turning halfway through, until doughnuts are golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Let cool and roll in sugar and cinnamon mixture. Serve or freeze.
You can keep fritters in an airtight container for about two days or you can freeze them as is, rolled in sugar. Let thaw to room temperature.