- In a small saucepan, soften garlic in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Set aside.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In one shallow bowl, place flour. Beat eggs in a second shallow bowl and breadcrumbs in a third.
- On a work surface, slightly flatten cutlets. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge cutlets in flour. Dip in beaten eggs. Drain. Press in breadcrumbs until well covered.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat butter and oil. Brown cutlets, one or two at a time. Add oil during cooking, if needed. Drain cutlets on paper towel before placing them on a baking sheet. Spoon sauce over cutlets. Top with ham slices and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve with a green vegetable or buttered noodles.