- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8-inch (20 cm) springform pan with removable bottom. Line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a microwaveable bowl or in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Let cool.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture triples in volume and forms a ribbon as it falls from the beaters. Using a spatula or whisk, gently fold in the chocolate mixture, and then the ground almonds alternating with the amaretto. Spread the mixture out in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out with lumps on it and isn’t completely clean. Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Sift cocoa powder over the top of the cake, if desired.
- The chocolate and almond cake will keep for 3 to 4 days at room temperature.