Meringue (12 meringues)
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 75 °C (170 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- On the baking sheet, with a pastry bag fitted with a plain or fluted tip, shape the meringues into 10-cm (4-inch) discs.
- Place in the oven and leave the meringues to dry for 3 to 4 hours. Turn the oven off and leave the door ajar for a few hours, until they are completely dry and crisp.
- In a saucepan, bring 60 ml (1/4 cup) of water and the sugar to a boil. Cook until the mixture is golden brown. Remove from the heat and gradually add the cream. Bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Let cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to medium or use a lightly oiled ridged skillet.
- Grill the peaches, flesh side down, for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Place a meringue and a piece of grilled peach on a plate and drizzle with caramel. Sprinkle with almonds.