- In a bowl, place the chocolate.
- In another bowl, heat the cream in the microwave oven. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Let melt for 2 minutes. With a spatula, stir until smooth. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes or until the ganache is firm but still malleable.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) 6-cup (1.5 litre) loaf pan and line it with a sheet of parchment paper, letting it hang over both sides.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth.
- At low speed, stir in the dry ingredients. With a spatula, stir in the diced apple.
- Pour two-thirds of the batter into the loaf pan. With a spatula, hollow out a trench in the middle of the cake, pushing the batter slightly up the sides of the pan. Pour the ganache into the trench. Cover the ganache with the remaining batter.
- Bake for about 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with just a slight trace of ganache but no lumps.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before removing from the pan.