- In a bowl, combine the flour, corn flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and brown sugar with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes or until the mixture doubles in volume and forms a ribbon as it falls from the beaters. Drizzle in the oil.
- At low speed, gently stir in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk until the mixture is just moistened (a few lumps of flour will remain). Add the cheese. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the waffle iron. Pour about 1/2 cup (125 ml) of batter at a time (or follow the manufacturer’s instructions) and close the device. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the waffles are golden brown. Keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Delicious with eggs and bacon, or as Croque Monsieur-Style Waffles (see recipe below).
The batter can be prepared the day before and stored in the refrigerator. But it shouldn’t be left longer than 24 hours as it tends to liquefy.