- In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the wheat berries in the oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Uncover and continue cooking for 45 minutes or until the liquid is almost completely absorbed and the wheat berries are cooked but still slightly firm. Drain, if needed. Oil lightly and let cool.
- Meanwhile, with a mandoline, thinly slice the cabbage and beets. Set aside in separate bowls. Divide the rice vinegar and sugar evenly between the vegetables, season with salt and combine. Let marinate for 15 minutes. When ready to serve, drain the vegetables.
- In a food processor or blender, finely chop the pumpkin seeds. Add the remaining ingredients and purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet over high heat, brown the onion, garlic and turmeric in the oil. Add the chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the wheat berries, vegetables, chickpeas and spinach into bowls. Top with pumpkin seeds and drizzle with the dressing.
Soft wheat berries can be replaced with 1 cup (205 g) of pearl barley. Cook with 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) of water for 30 minutes.