- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the meat in 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until browned. Season with salt, pepper and the dried herbs. Stir well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in an ovenproof saucepan over medium heat, soften the onion and carrot in the remaining oil (1 tbsp / 15 ml). Sprinkle with the flour and cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Add the broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add the cooked ground meat to the sauce and stir in the garlic.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Adjust the seasoning. Let cool.
- Serve with pasta or transfer into a 4-cup (1 litre) jar and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.