- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the sugar. Soften in the microwave for 3 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. Drain any liquid into a bowl, pressing down on the apples. Keep the syrup for another use. Set the apples aside.
- On a work surface, brush 1 sheet of phyllo dough with butter. Sift 1 tbsp of icing sugar overtop. Repeat the sequence with the remaining phyllo dough, layering the sheets on top of each other.
- Spread the bread crumbs over the bottom third of the phyllo, leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border on each side. Place the apples over the bread crumbs. Roll into a compact log, making sure the filling stays in place. Transfer to the baking sheet and fold the ends under. Brush with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool, then cut into pieces.