- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a small pot, bring the water and dates to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes while stirring and pressing on the dates with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a purée. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses, oil and date purée with an electric mixer. With the machine running on low speed, or with a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients.
- Form into balls using about 3 tbsp of the mixture for each cookie. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies are golden. Let cool completely.