- With the racks in the middle positions, preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine both sugars.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir in the peppermint extract.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the meringue with the food colouring. Fit a pastry bag with a plain round tip. Using a small spatula, streak the inside of the bag with three long lines of the red meringue, starting as close to the tip as possible.
- Spoon the plain meringue into the pastry bag. Pipe tear-shaped meringues (about 1 tbsp/15 ml each) onto the prepared sheets, spacing them evenly.
- Bake for 2 hours, or until the meringues are dry and easily peel off the paper. Rotate and switch the baking sheets halfway through baking. Let cool completely on the baking sheets. The meringues will keep for 2 months in an airtight container at room temperature.