- With the rack in the top position, preheat the oven’s broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a bowl, combine the meat, bread crumbs, egg and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Working with lightly oiled hands, shape each meatball using 1 tsp (5 ml) of the meat mixture. Place on the prepared sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the meatballs are golden brown. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the spices in a tea strainer or wrap in two layers of cheesecloth. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium-high heat, soften the vegetables and garlic in the butter. Add the broth and spice mixture. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the meatballs and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove the spices.