- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg yolk and beat until the mixture is smooth. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the dry ingredients. Spread the dough into a 14 x 4-inch (35 x 10 cm) rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom. Using your fingertips, firmly press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Figs with Port
- In a small pot over high heat, boil the sugar with the port until the sugar dissolves. Let cool. Add the figs and let rest for 1 minute. Drain, reserving the figs and syrup separately.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a bowl, combine the ground almonds and flour.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg and almond extract and beat until the mixture is smooth. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients. Scrape the mixture into the pie shell.
- Arrange the figs on the frangipane, cut side up. Bake for 35 minutes or until the frangipane is golden. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Using a pastry brush, brush the tart with the reserved syrup. The tart will keep for 2 to 3 days at room temperature.