- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flours, instant coffee, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar with a wooden spoon. Add the egg and yolk and stir until well combined. Stir in the flour mixture, chocolate and almonds.
- Using a 3-tbsp (45 ml) ice cream scoop, form the dough into balls and place them 6 per sheet, leaving room between them. Flatten the balls with the palm of your hand.
- Bake one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden brown at the edges but still soft in the centre. Let cool on the baking sheet.