- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, spelt flour, ground flax, ginger and baking soda.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg and mix until smooth. With the machine running on low speed, or with a wooden spoon, add the dry ingredients. Add the carrots and dates. Mix well.
- Using a 2-tbsp (30 ml) ice cream scoop, spoon balls of batter onto the baking sheets, evenly spacing them out. Flatten the balls slightly.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 15 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden but still soft at the centre. Let cool completely on a wire rack.