- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- On the baking sheet, brush the baguette slices with the oil. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden. Let cool. Rub each bread slice with the garlic clove. Break the slices into large pieces.
Mussels in White Wine
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, soften the shallot and garlic in the butter. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the mussels. Cover and cook for 4 minutes or until the mussels have opened completely. With a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to a baking sheet, discarding any that have not opened. Let cool. Remove the flesh from the shells and discard the shells. In a sieve set over a bowl, strain the cooking liquid. Reserve the liquid and discard the aromatics.
Cream of Asparagus
- In the same pot over medium-high heat, soften the leek in the butter. Add the reserved cooking liquid, the broth and potato. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the asparagus and continue cooking for 8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- In a blender, purée the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup among six bowls. Top with the mussels, croutons and parsley. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Eco-friendly tip: Farmed mussels are green machines! They absorb harmful surplus nutrients (like carbon dioxide and nitrogen) and help reduce greenhouse gases as a result.