Spiced Maple Syrup
- With a mortar and pestle, crush the peppercorns with the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and chili pepper. Transfer to a small pot and combine with the maple syrup. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let infuse for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the sugar, eggs and ricotta. Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe out a log of dough about 4 to 6 inches (10 to 15 cm) long and cut it off with scissors, letting it fall gently into the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining dough, frying only a few doughnuts at a time until they are nicely golden, about 3 minutes, turning halfway through. Watch out for splattering. Drain on the paper towels.
- Serve the doughnuts with the warm maple syrup for dipping.