- In a large pot over medium heat, bring the milk, vanilla bean and seeds to a boil. Add the rice and simmer over low heat, stirring often, for 25 minutes or until the rice is very tender. Add the sugar and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer to a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the rice. Let cool, then refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2 hours.
Candied Crispy Rice
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a pot over medium-high heat, cook the sugar and water, without stirring, until golden. Remove from the heat and immediately add the rice cereal, stirring with a spatula to coat with the caramel. Spread the mixture out on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. On a work surface, break the caramelized rice up into pieces. The caramelized rice will keep in an airtight container for 2 weeks at room temperature.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the rice pudding. Serve the rice in bowls garnished with the apples, dates and caramelized rice.