- In a pot off the heat, whisk together the maple syrup, cornstarch, vanilla seeds and pod. Add the eggs and mix well. Whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, and scraping the sides and bottom of the pot. Simmer gently for 1 minute.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Remove the vanilla pod. Whisk in the yogurt. Pour the mixture into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the hot water and cocoa powder. Let cool.
- Place 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the yogurt cream into 8 glasses. Dip the amaretti cookies in the cocoa mixture for 2 seconds and place 2 cookies in each glass. Add another 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the yogurt cream to each glass. Top with the fruit. Cover with the remaining yogurt cream. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 12 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with the almonds and chocolate shavings.
The vanilla bean can be replaced with 1 tsp (5 ml) of vanilla extract.