- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chips, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Add the maple sugar, stirring constantly. Return to the heat and cook for 30 seconds or until the mixture starts to turn an amber colour. Let cool on a plate.
- Fill a bowl two-thirds of the way up with ice. Place a second bowl over the ice. This will keep the meat very cold while you prepare the tartare.
- On a work surface, using a knife, cut the beef into a small dice and place in the chilled bowl as you go. Refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, mustard, sambal oelek, Worcestershire sauce and horseradish. Add to the bowl of beef along with the shallot and chopped jalapeno. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Serve the tartare in wonton spoons. Sprinkle with the maple chips and top with the sliced jalapeno rounds.