- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Place the feta in a bowl of cold water. Let sit for 5 minutes to remove some of the salt. Remove from the water and pat dry.
- In a large baking dish, spread out the cheese, tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes and oil. Season with pepper. Do not add salt. Bake for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes have burst and started to softened.
- Meanwhile, in a pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente (see note). Drain.
- Remove the tomato stems, as needed. Crush the feta with a fork. Add the pasta and mix well. Garnish with the basil. Serve immediately.
It is not necessary to add pasta cooking water to the assembled dish but you can set some aside in case the cooked tomatoes do not release enough juice.