- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a pot off the heat, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Add the fruits and mix well. Bring to a boil while stirring often. Simmer for 5 minutes. Spread the mixture out in an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, vanilla and egg with an electric mixer. With the machine running on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk.
- Spread the batter over the fruit. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
You can replace the frozen fruit with fresh fruit.