- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water.
- In a cast iron skillet, off the heat, combine the morello cherries, fresh or frozen cherries, and sugar. Place the skillet directly on the grill. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes or until the syrup starts to thicken. Add the cornstarch mixture and simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Off the heat, add the alcohol. Flambé, if desired.
- Serve with barbecue lemon poppy seed cake and crème fraîche, if desired.