- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, soften the sweet potato, onion and garlic in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil. Season with salt. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add the broth and potatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Using a hand blender, purée the soup until smooth. Adjust the seasoning.
- Meanwhile, on a non-stick or parchment paper-lined baking sheet, combine the chickpeas and cashews with the remaining oil and the garam masala. Bake for 18 minutes, stirring halfway through. Season lightly with salt.
- Serve the soup in bowls. Top with the chickpea mixture and raisins. Garnish with yogurt and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with naan bread, if desired.