- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Butter and flour a 30 x 20 cm (12 x 8-inch) Pyrex pan.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar for about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and beat for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and spices. Stir into the first mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Unmould the cake and cool on a rack. Trim the sides of cake so that the edges are straight. Cut the cake into thirds on one side, then into 5 on the other, to get 15 pieces. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the corn syrup and water until the syrup is well dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add the icing sugar and stir, with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth. Add a few drops of green food coloring. Add icing sugar or water if necessary, so that the icing is smooth, but liquid enough to coat the cake pieces.
- Place the cake pieces on a rack set on a baking sheet. With a knife, spread icing on the sides of cake pieces and pour the rest to cover well. Let drain and harden on the rack for about 1 hour.
- Place two green licorice strips crosswise on each piece of cake to simulate gift wrapping tape. Shape small loops with the other pieces of licorice and press the centre of the loops to stick well. Placed in the centre of each cake.
Cupcakes gift used as place settings: great idea! To do that, I use this recipe. You can choose another recipe: the little mokas that your whole family love so much or a simple white cake could do the trick. To make the table even more magical, you can present each sweet gift in a miniature glass cloche.