- In a bowl, soak the mushrooms in the boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain and thinly slice. Set aside.
- In another bowl, gently toss the tofu with 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the soy sauce. Refrigerate.
- In a pot, sauté the ginger, garlic, onion and shiitake mushrooms in the oil until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the water, miso and remaining soy sauce. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the miso. Add the tofu and green onions. Adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the noodles among four bowls and ladle in the soup. Serve hot.
Miso is a soybean paste used as a condiment in a variety of dishes. It is sold vacuum-sealed in plastic bags or tubes. It is found in health food stores and Asian grocery stores.