- In a large saucepan, cook the garlic in the oil for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and break with a wooden spoon, a potato masher or with your hands.
- Add the tomato paste, water and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Cook the sausages in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain. Cut into 1-cm (1/2-inch) slices. Set aside.
- In a bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in hot water for 2 minutes.
- Drain by pressing in a colander.
- Combine the drained bread with the remaining ingredients except for the oil. Form 45 ml (3 tablespoons) meatballs with the mixture. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet.
- In a skillet, brown the meatballs, a dozen at a time, using 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of oil each time.
- Add the cooked meatballs and sliced sausages to the sauce. Continue cooking for 1 h 15 minutes. Add the basil and cook an additional 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and serve over long pasta.