- In a bowl, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add to the previous mixture and work with a wooden spoon until a ball forms. Shape with your hands, if necessary. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to 0.5 cm (1/4 inch) thick. With a cookie cutter, cut hearts in the dough and place on the baking sheet. Space the cookies about 2.5-cm (1-inch) apart to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- With a small cookie cutter, cut a circle or a heart in the centre of half the cookies. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not let brown. Remove from sheet and let cool.
- Cover the hole-less cookies with jam. Top with a cutout cookie. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
If you do not have a heart-shaped cookie cutter, draw a heart on parchment paper, cut it and use it as a guide for cutting the cookie dough.
Cappuccino and his Heart of Cinnamon
On a cardboard or a square of parchment paper, draw a 2.5-cm (1-inch) heart. Cutout the center to make a stencil. Gently place the stencil on the foam of a cappuccino. With a small fine sieve, sprinkle with about 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) of cinnamon or cocoa powder, to cover the surface of the heart. Carefully remove the stencil. Voila! To present on the morning of Valentine's Day (or any morning) to your loved ones.